Friday, January 28, 2011

Redefining rape

A little background first:

http://www.opencongress.org/articles/view/2183-Redefining-Rape

This is how the newly Republican House is going to spend their time? This is the type of thing people wanted? I thought they were elected on fiscal responsibility (Hah!). Sigh.

Anyway, more to the point. The only purpose here is to restrict access to abortions.

A friend mentioned "We're a society that knows enough to differentiate between kinds of murders - I don't see why rape should be any different, really. Though I'm certain I don't want those hateful fucks drawing the lines." I certainly agree with the last part of his sentiment but not fully with what comes before.

We don't actaully differentiate murder; a dead body is a dead body. We differentiate the circumstance of murder. And I am not entirely certain that the line they are trying to draw makes any sense. The most common definitions (and my personal understanding of the concept since I was able to understand it) of rape all state its forced nature making "forcible rape" a useless redundancy.

It is just this that should make everyone suspect as to the nature of what is trying to be done here. The Democratic co-sponsor is tragically from my state and clearly his Catholic background drives his support. The GOP, party of the self-made man and non-governmental interference (except in areas that involve our naughty bits), continues to tilt at this windmill with absolutely zero concern for consequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment